[OS X TeX] how to handle window-mania?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Oct 14 09:09:58 EDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 5:49 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> I am a happy TeXShopper who mostly has to work on multiple documents
> at the same time. If I have 3 files open (e.g. a presentation, a
> manuscript and maybe another inspirational document) I end up having 9
> windows (source, output and console) flying around my screen. This is
> a little confusing and trying to locate the appropiate window (I
> dislike going to the window menu) takes some time and moving around.
>
> How do you handle open windows when there's more than one window open?
>
> As far as things looked, iTeXMac uses the same three window approach.
> So I already thought about asking Dick to expand TeXShop's
> functionality to make life easier for me, but so far I have not found
> a better way to handle open files. I dislike the idea of having to
> switch tabs in order to see my preview/source. Maybe the windows of
> the same "project" could become magnetic and stick to each other. but
> then again: sometimes I like to view the preview of one document and
> the source of another. Perhaps the console could be attached to the
> editor-window? So many possibilities, but I fear none of them will
> eventually make my work more efficient, so all suggestions are very
> much welcome.

One word: Expos\'{e}. With the click of a mouse button, I can see
everything that is open in TeXShop and then make choice regarding where
I want to be. With a slightly different click, I can completely expose
the Desktop and with yet another click, I can see EVERY Window that is
not hidden.

I had the same problem until I became adept at Expos\'{e}.

All the best,

-- Gary

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>