[OS X TeX] OT: TeX on windows

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Mon Oct 18 18:27:26 EDT 2004

In case any of you are interested in using TeX on windows or if you
should ever have to use it on a wintel box for whatever reasons:

This weekend I gave my first class on LaTeX, unfortunately in an all
windows environment. I installed MikTeX on the XP machines in the
computer room and it was ok but somewhat irritating. You have to use a
setup wizard that is used to either download or install the software,
there seems to be no way to download and install in one step. So I
downloaded all TeX software in step 1, ended the application and
re-opened it for step 2, installing MikTeX (which is straight forward,
by the way.
Additionally I installed Ghostscript and as TeXnicCenter as the editor.
While all things worked great, TeXnicCenter is not at all
recommendable. Telling my students about how stable LaTeX is and having
TeXnicCenter giving me errors every once in a while that it cannot open
the current document within Acrobat for this or that reason (only
solution is to quit the application completely and then re-open it) did
not exactly back up my line of argumentation.

As a conclusion from my first weekend class on LaTeX take this as an
advice: Don't use TeXnicCenter as an editor. Maybe I will check out
TeXMaker one day, but until now I am fed up with TeX on windows.

Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>