[OS X TeX] OT: TeX on windows

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 19:16:53 EDT 2004

Hi Stephan,

On 19/10/2004, at 8:50 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> Hello Christopher et al.,
>
>> You might want to check out emacs as you editor on the PC.  You can
>> read up on installing emacs + autex here:
>> http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html
> Unfortunately Emacs is not really an option because my students all
> come from Word and are not used to such a powerful yet somewhat
> complicated editor. And besides that, I am more of a vi(m) guy ;-)
> But thanks for the suggestion, I also tried jEdit, but that was also
> not an ideal solution.

When I have to teach LaTeX on Windows I just use the simple WinShell
or TeXShell applications that (still ?) come with TeXLive.

These are not too fancy, hence not too complicated,
and have palettes for selecting the macros for math-symbols.

It's easy to reconfigure the engine to be pdfTeX
and the viewer to be  acroread , if you want to do this.

The fact that there is more than one application available to the
students just helps to emphasise that different options are available.
The good students can explore MikTeX and emacs-auctex for themselves,
having been prepared to expect differences in approach.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>