[OS X TeX] TextMate text editor

Thomas Gustafsson thogu at ida.liu.se
Wed Oct 20 02:33:26 EDT 2004

Hi list,

I have been searching for a text editor for doing LaTeX editing. I have
tested emacs with auxtex and reftex, vim with the latex-suite,
TextMate, TeXShop, jEdit with latex plugin and BBEdit. I have also
looked into AlphaX, eclipse, xCode etc. The thing is that I write a
paragraph of text as a long line in the text editor. This has
complications in some text editors. In emacs there is no soft wrapping
and I have not found any elisp code for moving the cursor only visible
lines. Soft wrapping is more or less a requirement for me to work
efficiently in the text editor. In vim, one can get the soft wrap
behavior, but as the lines get really long, the editor actually get
sluggish. It feels awkward to have a lagging text editor, therefore I
have been struggling to find alternatives :) It is a bit strange that a
1GHz Powerbook should not be able to put text on the screen without
lagging. TextMate and TeXshop also can get a bit slow on long lines.
jEdit is kind of nice, and so is BBEdit, which even works on my old
bronze keyboard G3 Powerbook.

Has anyone else experienced the same behavior of the text editors.
Which text editors do you use?

Regards
Thomas, that is still searching for the perfect text editor :)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>