[OS X TeX] i-installer not installing?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Oct 20 11:10:25 EDT 2004

> I noticed that my TeX system was slightly out-of-date. I opened
> i-installer and sure enough, under Versions it said
>
> 	Self: 2004/06/14 20:30:51
> 	Remote Package: Same as Self
> 	Installed:		Different: 2004/03/23 23:31:01
>
> So I tried installing again, but the "Installed" version did not
> change.

Older i-Installer versions had a bug where they did not immediately update
this field.

> I also tried "Update Self from Remote" and "Re-read Remote
> Version", but neither did anything.

That was to be expected. The remote version has not changed and you local
package (not your installation) is in sync.

>I still have the old version
> installed, even though a newer i-package has been downloaded.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Maybe nothing.

After downloading, you still need to install it. The "Install & Configure"
 button does that.

In case you did that: The updating of the fields was not 100% OK on
actions in previous versions of i-Installer. The current beta is better.

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/ii2/II2-beta.dmg

Closing and reopening the package forces a re-read of the fields as well.

i-Package works with 3 locations:
- remote (the repository where your sync with, e.g.
http://tug.org/i-packages/tex.ii2), the i-Package URL
- on your disk (e.g. ~/Documents/i-Packages/tex.ii2). This is called "Self"
- the install location (e.g. /usr/local/teTeX)

"update" updates your package on your local disk from the remote URL
"install & configure" installs to /usr/local/teTeX from your package on disk.

So, updating your TeX *install* requires updating your package and
re-installing your package (two steps). i-Installer will offer an atomatic
"update from remote" to you if remote has changed and you hit any of the
package functions (install, configure, uninstall).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>