[OS X TeX] TL2004 and XeTeX again

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 25 11:18:31 EDT 2004

> Sorry, I was confused. The mentioned fix was necessary for the xetex
> option of the graphics package. Somehow my XeTeX installtion is
> completely screwed up now, and re-installing doesn't seem to help.
>
> I don't see the xetex or xelatex in TeXShop anymore, and what's worse
> running xelatex from the shell doesn't work either. I get
>
> fmtutil: unknown format type: xelatex.xfmt.
> I can't find the format file `xelatex.xfmt'!

This is a sign that xelatex cannot find xelatex.xfmt and it wants it
created on the fly. fmtutil (the tool that does the creation) is not
patched to recognize .xfmt, which means that XeTeX configuration has not
run succesfully (XeTeX configuration patches the fmtutil tool).

> xelatex.xfmt is in web2c

Then

    sudo texhash

should possibly help you out. You will still have a fmtutil setup that
does not understand XeTeX but the existing XeTeX formats should be found
and fmtutil should not be called.

> XeTeX does run though, although it isn't displayed either in TeXshop,
> somehow, xelatex is broken

Can't comment on TeXShop

If all else fails, maybe it is best to run the TeX package uninstall and
uninstall everything and do a fresh install of first TeX and then XeTeX.
Of course this depends on you having additions in texmf.local

Secondly, I hope that by now you have throroughly removed the linux texmf
tree that you had copied into ~/Library/texmf because if you haven't, all
bets are off 8-)

PS. See below.

> simon
>

> On 25.10.2004, at 16:18, Herb Schulz wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/04 8:18 AM, "Simon Spiegel" <simon at simifilm.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed the new i-package and XeTeX on another machine. With the
>>> experience of the first installtion, things went a lot smoother here
>>> (for example my fonts run flawlessly, while I still have problems on
>>> my
>>> first machine). XeTeX makes problems though: I get
>>> fmtutil: no info for format `xelatex'.
>>> I can't find the format file `xelatex.xfmt'!
>>>
>>> I had this on my first machine to, but adding the following to
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf helped:
>>> TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
>>> TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

Remove these if they are still there.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>