[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package released

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Wed Oct 27 16:27:22 EDT 2004

GW> On 26 Oct 2004, at 18:37, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>> I had a couple of problems with the new texlive 2004 setup:
>>
>> First after installing it I couldn't run latex or pdflatex, they gave a
>> I'm
>> stymied error. It appeared that the latex.fmt and pdflatex.fmt were not
>> built. Although the installation process ended with:
>> Running the configuration script finished without critical errors.
>> the creation of latex.fmt and pdflatex.fmt had failed. The problem is
>> that
>> I have selected Spanish as one of the languages and the Spanish
>> hyphenation
>> file used to be sphyphen.tex, but now is eshyphen.tex. But is hasn't been
>> changed in language.dat. After changing and reconfiguring it worked.

GW> I have provided a fix for this.

Does the fix consist of the file sphyph.tex in texmf.gwtex?
That doesn't work, as this file inputs cathyph.tex which isn't present. If
you would like to include sphyph.tex, use a copy of eshyph.tex in
texmf.tetex.

But I think the robust solution would be to use the language.dat in
texmf.local (if present) to find out the defaults for the languages chosen
in the dialog, then remove it and use languages.dat in texmf.tetex to buid
a new languages.dat in texmf.local with the proper ones selected.

By the way, this new sphyph.tex even ruins my manual change of language.dat
or the official one in texmf.tetex. This is because the file aliases
translates esphyp.tex into sphyph.tex. Apparently the translations in
aliases only work if the target file is present. So a better solution would
be to reverse the aliases translation for sphyph.tex and eshyph.tex. Of
course this is something that should be done in teTeX.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>