[OS X TeX] xy-pic problems

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 08:51:39 EDT 2004

On 30/10/2004, at 9:47 AM, Roger Hart wrote:

> I've been trying to use xy-pic to draw some diagrams and have had two
> major troubles which I've been unable to solve: 1) the arrows it draws
> are jagged, very noticeably so in printouts; 2) resizing does not work
> properly, resulting in arrows missing their intended targets.

Load the package using the PostScript back-end:

   \usepackage[dvips,ps,all]{xy}

If you use TeXShop, then you will need to use  the  TeX+Ghostscript
processing mode.

> Unfortunately, the arrows are jagged.  And because xy-pic is designed
> more for commutative diagrams than the matrices I wish to draw, I need
> to reduce their size, and I've tried all sorts of arguments and values
> to try to get the arrows to look nice, such as,
>
> @! @R=6pt @C=6pt @M=0pt @H=0pt @W=0pt
>
> but have been unable to get straight arrows at any size.  And when I
> use various parameters above, the arrows fail to connect to their
> targets.

Can you tell which fonts are being loaded for the Xy-pic pieces ?
It sounds like you may be using the (very) old bitmaps,
rather than the scaleable Type1 fonts.

> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and obviously, I'm not much of an
> expert on xy-pic.  I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

Send an example .log file for one of your jobs,
and perhaps a PDF of it as well.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>