[OS X TeX] kind of TeXShop for Windows ?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 31 16:53:48 EST 2004

On 31 okt 2004, at 21:44, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> Scientific Workplace and LyX are quasi-wysiwyg editors which use
> a subset of LaTeX as fileformat, but don't support general LaTeX.

A bigger problem with Scientific Workplace, is that the latex code it
produces does not compile of standard LaTeX installations (especially
the figures are problematic). Lyx on the other hand tries to generate
LaTeX code that can be used for further editing on other systems (i.e.
no lock-in).

> The also mentioned TeXnicCenter is often used as a frontend for
> miktex; see http://www.miktex.org for both. These programs are
> free. It used to be necessary to install Ghostscript separately,
> but that may have changed.

Not that I could find on the miktex pages, but I couldn't find a
listing of
what is installed on their pages.

> MikTeX is well thought of. Opinions on
> TeXnicCenter are more divided. I maintain a network installation
> of this combo for a university department, but don't use it myself
> beyond trying to solve other people's problems, so I don't really
> have an opinion on it.

I think MikTeX is the closest replacement for i-Installer, although
there are differences: miktex concentrates on TeX & Friends,
i-Installer is a generic software install & configuration tool. The
miktex installed binaries allow for on-the-fly installation of missing
packages (cool feature, but I wouldn't want that). Miktex is probably
easier on maintenance, as it allows for individual packages to be
updated, instead of a complete re-install.

I had a student (who was very weary of LaTeX to start with) produce
decent code in less than a week, without further introduction with
TeXnicCenter. He still didn't like LaTeX, but TeXnicCenter made is
tolerable. Their reference insertion system is rather nice (it scans
all your documents for \label{} statements - it might even attempt to
detect the context, and offers a user interface when you want to insert
a \ref{}. It pretty much offers the functionality that BibDesk offers
for \cite{} commands.

> ProTeXt can be found at http://www.tug.org/ftp/texlive/protext/,
> is based on MikTeX and is to be included in the next TeX Live as a
> separate item.

That is still a very limited description. What does it do? Is it the
MikTeX package manager, adapted to work on a TeXLive install?

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>