[OS X TeX] Warning - Find broken in TexShop 1.35b, no undo

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 2 18:40:19 EDT 2004

Given the new Find panel is far too complicated for my rather basic
search needs, and I was quite happy with the former one, one of the
first thing I did after installing TeXShop 1.35, and using Find for the
first time, was go to the Prefs and check "Apple Panel" instead of
"OgreKit Panel" in Prefs/Document/Search Panel (after Restart). Alas,
that doesn't seem to be taken into account (in the French
localization), I am still getting the new Find panel (after several
restarts).

Generally, I am finding TeXShop is getting more and more complicated to
master, for example with macros all over the place (in the Macros menu,
with AppleScripts -- are these Will's scripts? --, with Claus
Gerhardt's macros, and also with several folders inside the TeXShop
disk image distro). It is difficult to guess whether all these macros
are complementary, or some of them redundant, or whether drop boxes are
just an alternative way of accessing the same functions as in the
macros menu, or something different. (Disclaimer: I'm certainly not
objective on this issue, as I don't use macros myself.) The same
applies to engines and personal scripts: being a XeTeX afficionado, I
appreciate the new engine functionality a lot, but doesn't it make the
less flexible personal script functionality redundant?

While I understand that the increasing complexity of TeXShop results
from the desire to fit the various needs of a growing community of
users, I must admit that I now regret the à-la-Textures
"bare-bones-ness" of its original versions, which is what dragged me to
it in the first place.

Similarly, I am getting more and more confused by TeXShop's
installation procedure. The file IMPORTANT mentions dragging
TeXShop.app into /Applications, but what to do with the other folders?
For example, where to put TeXShop_Folder, why this name? I am putting
mine in /Library/Documentation/TeXShop, as this looks mostly like
documentation and examples. Similarly, there seem to be examples and
templates at several different places in the distro, including in the
folder ~/Library/TeXShop created at TeXShop's first launch, some of the
templates dating back to the first versions of TeXShop while others are
more recent ones from Will -- if I'm not mistaken.

In other words, I think that at this stage of TeXShop's evolution it
would be nice to perform some cleanup in the distribution (and,
perhaps, in the functionalities, prefs and menus of the application
itself), and, even better, to release it as an Apple's Installer .pkg
file taking care of automatically putting everything at the appropriate
place and updating what needs to be updated.

FWIW,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>