[OS X TeX] Citation within footnotes.

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 3 10:34:37 EDT 2004

On 3 sep 2004, at 15:57, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Here is the ugly truth and what does not work.
>
>    \title{{\Huge Mathematics For Learning}\\
> With Inflammatory Notes\\ for the Mortification of Educologists\\ and
> the Vindication of ``Just Plain Folks"\footnote{While I take full
> responsability for coining the term Educologist  the expression Just
> Plain Folk first appeared in \bibentry{Doe: 2005}}}      \author{A.
> Schremmer}
>
> The footnote works only without the citation. I guess titles have ways
> of their own.
>
> It is no big deal but I was certain that I was missing something
> obvious and it distracted me from my work. Obviously it still does, to
> the point that I would like to be able to do it, but not any more to
> the point that I stop working to figure it out, which given my lack of
> LaTeX knowledge is unlikely in any event.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Did I just see a footnote in a title?
Does this help?
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=ftnsect
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=ftncapt

OTOH, it is a footnote in a main title. Footmisc may help, but I think
the moving argument is not the issue. In fact I think the title is set
in a parbox or a minipage.
Part of the issue is that in titles (or was that authors) you're
supposed to use \thanks{}. The formatting of
titles (as with \maketitle) is not a clean subject at all, and may
depend on the document-class. Manual
insertion with \footnotemark and \footnotetext may help, something like:

\title{{\Huge Mathematics For Learning}\\
With Inflammatory Notes\\
for the Mortification of Educologists\\
and the Vindication of ``Just Plain Folks"\footnotemark}

\maketitle
\footnotetext{While I take full responsability for coining the term
Educologist  the expression Just Plain Folk first appeared in
\bibentry{Doe: 2005}}

(not tested)

HTMH

Maarten