[OS X TeX] Sente - New bibliographic app

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Sep 9 04:44:29 EDT 2004

>>I just stumbled across this yesterday and it looks quite interesting.
>>Sente ( http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/index.cgi?page=introduction
>>) is an app for retrieiving all kind of online bibliographic data. It
>>can access Pubmed, LoC, z39.50 servers and probably. You can create
>>quite elaborate filters and it automatically updates your searches. It
>>exports to BibTeX and EndNote. Unfortunately it's not free.

>Its a nice app. I'm thinking of buying it after some encouraging exchanges with the
>developer. Exporting BibTeX to BibDesk is a bit clunky (goes via an intermediate text
>file), but it works. Adding (in the case of Sente) and improving (in the case of BibDesk)
>AppleScript support could vastly improve the utility of both apps.

Tighter BibDesk integration would definitely be nice (the best would of course be, if all of Sente's
features were added to BibDesk...). If you could call Sente right of BibDesk, I might even consider
buying it.

>BTW is anyone using Bookends and ReferenceMiner ? If so, any gotchas wrt BibTeX ?

I once had a look at BookEnds because it is the only bibliographic app natively supported by Mellel. It's
quite nice, but has one big drawback for me: Not enough fields. While this could be fixed very easily, it
makes BookEnds useless for me if I can't enter all the information I want. I can't say much about the
BibeX export though.

simi
--
Simon Spiegel