[OS X TeX] TeXShop's %& ugly bug

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Mon Sep 13 13:07:16 EDT 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Jérôme Laurens wrote:

>> What configuration files? All that is required is a single XML file
>> with some properly defined schema for:
>>  - File encoding
>>  - Intended typesetting script
>>  - Master file
>>  - Daughter files (I can see a possible advantage, but not strictly
>> necessary)
>> Is there even anything else required?
>
> I already have presented XML file spec for this, in TUG2004
> except that it does not cover the "Intended typesetting script" too
> complex
> but adds an "End of line" and language support

How can "intended typesetting script" be too complex to include in an
XML file?  XML can represent arbitrary directed graphs.  Is your TUG
paper available on-line?

> All the frontend specific data have nothing to do with that and must
> live somewhere else

Why couldn't the XML schema for the project be extensible to include
front-end specific elements?  It would be simple to require that
front-ends ignore elements that they do not understand.  This way
iTeXMac and TeXShop specific data (for example) could live in separate
branches of the XML tree without interfering.  One could also use
attributes attached to a "frontend" element:

<frontend name="iTeXMac">
	<!-- elements specific to iTeXMac, ignored by all other front ends -->
</frontend>
<frontend name="TeXShop">
	<!-- elements specific to TeXShop, ignored by all other front ends -->
</frontend>

The beauty of XML is that a standard parser could handle all this
syntax and the particular front-end could easily ignore the additional
data.

If I'm mistaken about this, I would appreciate some additional
clarification.

Cheers,

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>