[OS X TeX] pdftex 1.20a

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 14 17:51:42 EDT 2004

On 9/14/04 3:16 PM, "Alexandru Scorpan" <ascorpan at math.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Is there a simple way to instal the latest pdftex (1.20a) on top of a
> gwTeX installation?  Or, better, is it coming to i-Installer anytime
> soon?
>
> The reason for my rush is that I have a Sept 30 deadline for a 600-page
> project and I was hoping to use the microtypographical niceties from
> the new microtype package (which needs 1.20) in it.
>
> Alex

Howdy,

Font protrusion of punctuation (called margin kerning) in the present
version of pdftex supplied with gwTeX. It is qquite nice. TeXShop and
iTeXMac both give information on how to activate it. Alternatively you can
download a small package I wrote that does it. The package is called
tmmmarkrn.sty (the name is a personal historical artifact) and is available
at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2/> if you want it.

TeX does a lovely job of adjusting spacing within a paragraph so I wouldn't
worry about the font expansion too much.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>