[OS X TeX] eqnarray and \def statements

Sylvan Jacques vanjac12 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 07:36:54 EDT 2004

I am using a new eqnarray command someone has provided, and
am reading in "A Not so Short Intro" on how to do this.

The file I want to implement starts with

   \def\@currentlabel{\p at equation\theequation}%

and has several \def\name  lines, which I take
to be the new commands.

Reading further, I see that "Not so Short..." talks of
\newcommand, but I can't find \def, even in the index.

I am using TexShop, and my first question is, should I try
to modify my tetex files, or keep this as some kind of
macro in TexShop (which I prefer if possible).

On installing packages, I read that I must run latex on the
.ins file and extract a .sty file.

Is that necessary? Can't I just creat a macro in TexShop?

Van Jacques   vanjac12 at yahoo.com