[OS X TeX] How do people handle spellchecking in different languages

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 27 17:34:36 EDT 2004

On 27 sep 2004, at 16:57, Gilles Serasset wrote:

> For a more "intelligent" solution, even if you are using \setlanguage
> {} a correct selection of the spell checking dictionary may be very
> difficult as your \setlanguage may be part of a more complicated macro
> and front-ends like TeXShop/iTeXMac will not/should not go into such
> details...
>
> Another idea, should be to use special form of comment to force the
> language of a part of the document, but this is only possible for
> whole lines of texts.. and I don't even know if it is possible to
> locally change the spell checking language of the Mac OS X spell
> checker.

Aargh. No, not another discussion on using special comments to indicate
something that is already in that file. If there is to be an
implementation in a GUI front-end wrt spell checking different
languages in a single document, I'd prefer a set of preferences that
indicate the commands & environments that make the switch, with the
defaults set to whatever babel uses. I think the GUI _should_ go into
such details, after all they are there to make life easier for you, not
harder...

> Well, this was in fact one of the great thing of omega, as it was
> apparently possible to attach external actions handled during the
> typesetting and to produce a "spell-checked" version of your pdf (as
> spell checking took place at the very last time after all macro
> expansion, the language was always known at that time).

Last time I checked (pun intended), spell checking was a highly
interactive activity, not suitable to hand over to a batch oriented
system. Any more details how Omega made this possible?

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>