[OS X TeX] Moving to OS X finally

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 29 16:12:48 EDT 2004

On 29 sep 2004, at 22:02, Alexandru Scorpan wrote:

>>> These are simple questions. After 5 years I'm being upgraded to a
>>> new computer with System OSX. Presently I use OzTeX with Alpha as my
>>> editor. Would it be best to stick with OzTeX or is there something
>>> better for OSX?
>
> On OS X you have ports of standard unix distributions of TeX, with
> nice front-ends like TeXShop or iTeXMac.  That seems to be where it's
> at on OS X.  I used to OzTeX myself a while ago, and switched to
> TeXShop quite happily.  One advantage is that you use essentially the
> same underlying machinery as linux or solaris, and thus there is a lot
> more development and a lot more people to help. Another advantage is
> that, since pdf is native in OS X, these front-ends happily use pdftex
> and pdflatex instead of tex and latex, and thus the output is pdf
> instead of dvi, ready to share with the world.

You can actually run OzTeX on top of teTeX, if you prefer the OzTeX
user interface. It will give you access to pdfLaTeX (which is not
included in the standard OzTeX install IIRC) and a bunch of other
goodies. The texmf tree that comes with i-Installer is a lot bigger
than the one that comes with OzTeX. You decide whether that is an
advantage, or not (I think it is).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>