[OS X TeX] i-Package install locations

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Apr 4 14:24:59 EDT 2005

On 4 Apr 2005, at 18:55, Vinayak Vatsal wrote:

> Thanks, Peter and Gerben. I finally edited the paths by hand, since I
> prefer not to mess around with removing files from the standard
> distribution.
>
> But is this what one is expected to do? I thought part of the point of
> the i-Packages was to have paths that worked out of the box.

Yes. Except that only ghostscript and TeX actually contain the path
setting code and the support script.

> It might be a good idea to add CLI activation options to packages such
> as LCDF and the various others that land in /usr/local/bin

Agreed. It is just that my time is limited and the amount of people
that do have tools installed but *not* ghostscript is pretty small, so
it is almost never a problem.

Secondly, it is an unsolvable problem. It is always possible that
package install the same stuff in different locations. There is no
generic rule to do anything about it, so it needs personal attention.
There is no time for me to do that (priority lies elsewhere).

> Also, it seems to me that one cannot select to activate CLI interface
> for TeX without going through a full expert install. (Ie, I can't just
> select it on top of my full install). Is this what's intended?

No you can. Just select "Configure Only" and you'll get the expert
setting of the configure phase.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>