[OS X TeX] Filmography with BibTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Apr 6 04:14:38 EDT 2005

Hi everybody,

I realize that this post is OT, since it's not really Mac specific, but
I already asked this on several TeX newsgroups and never got an answer.
Since there are many tex wizards on this mailing list, I give it a try.

I'm currently using jurabib for my PhD thesis in film studies and for
obvious reasons use bibtex for both my bibliography and my filmography.
Using multibib handling several bibliographies in one document is no
problem. Unfortunately BibTeX wasn't designed for filmographies and
since I'm no programmer, I had to do some ugly hacking of jurabib.bst
which partly works but doesn't yet do what I want.

What do I want? I film entry currently looks like this:

@misc{Kubrick.S:1964,
	Address = {GB},
	Author = {Kubrick, Stanley},
	Shorttitle = {Dr. Strangelove},
	Sortkey = {dr_strangelove_or},
	Title = {Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love
the Bomb},
	Titleaddon = {Dr. Seltsam oder Wie ich lernte, die Bombe zu lieben},
	Year = {1964}}

What is the result I want:

- When cited for the first time I want the full Title (in smallcaps)
and the year displaied: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop
Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

- For every further citiation I only want to the shorttitle (if it
exists, otherwise the long title) with a year. Film title should still
be in small caps: Dr. Strangelove.

- The entry in the filmography should also include the German title
(titleaddon) and the land, the original title should be in smallcaps,
the German title plain : Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop
Worrying and Love the Bomb (Dr. Seltsam oder Wie ich lernte, die Bombe
zu lieben). Stanley Kubrick, GB 1964.

I already managed to hack jurabib.bst so that the filmography is
displaied properly. I have no idea though, how I can tell bibtex that
it should only use the shorttitle for multiple citations.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

simon

--