[OS X TeX] [Beginner] unicode support

Marek Stepanek mstep at t-online.de
Sun Apr 10 15:34:31 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I have to include in my texts Cyrillic/Russian text. So I started to install
the ucs files in my texmf tree since two weeks now, to have unicode support,
but without any success.

I try to retrace the install process, perhaps you see my mistake somewhere :

1.
    I search for all folders named "texmf"
    -- and this is quite annoying, because already here it is difficult to
       say which one to use. I found :
       a) ~/Library/texmf/
       b) /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/
       c) /Applications/TeXShop/Scripts/texmf/

    I choose b)

2.
    I create a directory ucs/ in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/

3.
    I copy the files ucs.sty, utf8x.def, ucsencs.def into the folder
    /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ucs/

4.
    I create a new folder /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ucs/data/, where I
    put all files from the data/ of my original ucs installer folder.

5.
    I run mktexlsr on /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/

6.
    Test in BBEdit and TeXShop : I save my tex file with Cyrillic letters in
    utf-8 no BOM, in my "Headers" I inserted :

        \usepackage{ucs}
        \usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}

7.
    I use the apple script "send to TeXShop".

8.
    I push the button "Typeset". But TeXShop is struggling with the letters
    and is sending plenty of errors like :

        ! Missing number, treated as zero.
        <to be read again>
                   \errhelp
        l.4 \UnicodeCharacter{x0300}{\`}

9.
    I save the .tex file in utf-8, with BOM

   -> 7.
   -> 8.

10.
    I move all files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ucs/data/ one level up.
    So all files of data/ are now directly in ucs/

   -> 5.
   -> 6.
   -> 7.
   -> 8.

Could somebody be so kind and give me a hint ?

best greetings from Munich

marek

        the embassy for talented young musicians
    Podium International | Marek Stepanek | mstep at PodiumInternational.org
        http://www.PodiumInternational.org

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>