[OS X TeX] [Beginner] unicode support

Marek Stepanek mstep at t-online.de
Mon Apr 11 05:42:31 EDT 2005

On 11.04.2005 02:09, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> snip
>
> Have you seen these?
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/latex/ucs
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/ucs
>

>> Could somebody be so kind and give me a hint ?
>>

> You should move your ucs installation from /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
> into /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex. And re-run texhash!
>
> Everytime you can check: 'kpsewhich ucs.sty' -- I get:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/ucs/ucs.sty
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

thnx Pete,

I discovered that I already have had a fully installed ucs just were you
wanted me to move my installation, because I did not know the command
'kpsewhich' (blushing!) ... useless to say, because you already know it : I
am a total beginner ! So thank you again for your patience!

In /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/ucs/ I have even more files,
then the INSTALL-Document of ucs suggested to install. So I deleted
everything I installed in ucs and the folder ucs itself in :

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ucs

I made a new 'mktexlsr' and discovered that 'texhash' is something similar,
but I am unable to find the difference in the 'man texhash' or 'man
mktexlsr'.

Ok, now I am trying once again to translate my file.tex with Cyrillic
letters and utf-Encoding to pdf. With TeXShop no means to achieve, same as
before. This time I tried also with tex from the terminal, but there too the
first errors are

    mareklap% tex einladung.tex
    This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.3)
    (./einladung.tex
    ! Undefined control sequence.
    l.1 ^^ef^^bb^^bf\documentclass
                              [paper=a4]{scrlttr2}
?

with or without BOM, it is quite the same ... also the file einladung.log
gives not more hints. Really I don't know what to do !

Perhaps something wrong with my 'headers' ?

\documentclass[paper=a4]{scrlttr2}
\usepackage{ngerman}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{txfonts}

the last package {texfonts} I added or commented it out and I am not sure
about this package.

greetings from Munich

marek

        the embassy for talented young musicians
    Podium International | Marek Stepanek | mstep at PodiumInternational.org
        http://www.PodiumInternational.org

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>