[OS X TeX] plea for help with TeX bibliographic databases: the humanities, and unicode

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 23:50:57 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 19:44, Roger Hart wrote:

[...]

> BibTex with LaTeX packages, such as natbib, etc., don't seem to me
> to have even the number of fields needed to be potentially capable
> of formatting a bibliography for the humanities.

Some people have recommended jurabib as a more flexible option for
humanities.  Note that you can add whatever fields you want to a
BibTeX database, although you may have to roll your own bst to print
them out.

> BibDesk still seems to me not to handle unicode well. I turned off
> character conversions, set open and save to UTF-8, but I can't even
> get it to properly import European characters in a file, or by
> pasting an entire record. Only cutting and pasting field by field,
> or typing into each field, seems to work. BibDesk otherwise looks
> very promising, with excellent integration with TeXShop, so I hope
> this will be fixed soon (assuming I'm not missing something here).

Please contact me off-list with an example .bib file that causes
problems.  We've put a lot of work into supporting other encodings,
so European characters should not be a problem; BibDesk + XeLaTeX has
worked well in my testing.

> Sente seems very nice for downloading files, but the choice of
> filters seems very odd, for example not including OCLC WorldCat,
> the most complete database for research university libraries.
>
> So after having spent a couple more days looking in to all of this,
> I have again concluded that the most efficient strategy for
> formatting a humanities bibliography is to import from WorldCat
> into EndNote, export a formatted \bibitem ... entry, paste into my
> bibliography, and clean it up by hand.

Hopefully we can come up with something better than that!

regards,
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>