[OS X TeX] orphaned section titles (OT)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 13 16:18:08 EDT 2005

On 13 apr 2005, at 17:00, Luis Sequeira wrote:

> A friend of mine, whom I have encouraged to use LaTeX, has
> "complained" to me that he is getting some "orphaned" section titles -
> i.e. section titles that appear as the very last thing in a page, with
> the actual text of the section only appearing in the next page.
>
> I have not been able to reproduce this and I agree with him that this
> ought not to happen...

I'd be very hard to do, as by default section titles will need at least
two lines of the body of its section on the same page. Can you ask for
the source of an example? I could imagine some constructs in some not
so very well written classes* that may cause such behaviour, though the
default classes are safe in this respect. Before we have a sample of
where he sees something going wrong, it is hard to tell what the exact
issue is.

* One of my earlier attempts had such a problem, but it has since been
resolved.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>