[OS X TeX] Problems customizing report.cls

Daryl Basil Biberdorf darylb at pobox.com
Sat Apr 16 16:57:30 EDT 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 4:52 PM, Aaron Jackson wrote:
>> The only thing I notice
>> is that I'm unable to shrink the distance between the first
>> line of the chapter heading (the number in my case) and the
>> top margin to smaller than 1 inch (2.5 cm). It bothers me that
>> I can't seem to do anything about it, but it will not cause problems
>> with the thesis clerk, I think.
>
> This is controlled by the line
>
> \titlespacing{\chapter}{0pt}{0pt}{30pt}[0pt]
>
> Just change the 30pt to something smaller to get the chapter headings
> closer to the body text.  If you set it to 0, the chapter headings
> will have the same line spacing as the body text, i.e. single space
> under normal conditions and double spaced if you use  double spacing.

This does not seem to control the gap between the first line of
the chapter heading and the top margin, however. Setting the 30pt item
to 0pt makes the first line about 1" from the top margin. I've not
played with negative amounts, yet, but I suspect there's some other
dimension in the way. This is, at present, of no real concern to me,
as I think the 1" is acceptable to the thesis clerk.

Basil

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>