[OS X TeX] Documents less legible with T1 font encoding

Armin Goralczyk agoralczyk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:31:40 EDT 2005

Am 04.08.2005 um 22:52 schrieb Nestor Aguilera:

> Hi,
>
> On 4 Aug 2005, at 17:05, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>>
>> will do an even nicer job. The Latin Modern fonts are very nice
>> Type1 replacements that allow the use of T1 fonts encoding.
>>

> It is a matter of "taste" whether the Latin Modern fonts are nicer
> than the CM or CM-super. Personally, I prefer the CM to either,
> since the accents in Spanish (my mother language) are too small in
> CM-super and too much to the left in Latin Modern.
>
> On the other hand, I wonder why Armin is using T1: there is always
> the confusion between the encoding in the source file (as
> determined by \usepackage[...]{inputenc}) and the encoding of the
> fonts used (say) in the final pdf (as determined by \usepackage[...]
> {fontenc}).

I use T1 because I thought they yield better output with characters
like ü,ä,ö, etc. since they are not composit characters as in OT1
(Isn't that correct? I may be wrong; I am just a novice). For input I
use utf-8:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

--
Armin Goralczyk, Guttmannstr. 4, Appartment 2615, 76307 Karlsbad,
Germany

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>