[OS X TeX] LaTeX Equation Editor, LaTeXiT and XeTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Aug 5 10:39:31 EDT 2005

Am 05.08.2005 um 15:10 schrieb Pierre Chatelier:

> However, I do not really understand the error :
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `osxfonts.sty' not found.

Allô Pierre!

All *tex programmes use the same 'core foundation' so they accept the
same basic arguments like '-file-line-error' or '-interaction
nonstopmode'.

XeTeX comes in two forms: a TeX version and a LaTeX version, called
XeLaTeX, the latter would fit perfectly into LaTeXiT. And the latter
needs a STY file like osxfonts.sty to be able to use the Mac OS X fonts
in LaTeX! There is no need to add special support for XeLaTeX since it
finds all the necessary files due to settings in texmf.cnf.

The strange thing that happened yesterday to me was, that although I
could change the pdfLaTeX binary in the preferences to become XeLaTeX,
this new setting wasn't used to execute the short example.

I am not the experienced XeTeX user, so I just tried to copy a header
for some test. In case you would like to create a XeLaTeX template for
math typing Calvin or Bruno (or the author, Jonathan Kew) could supply
a better recommendation. I think just copied a piece from one doc:

	\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
	\usepackage{osxfonts}
	\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
	\NewOSXFontFamily{hoefler}{Hoefler Text}
	\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefler}

	\begin{document}

	\textbf{Bold text}.
	\textit{Italic text}.
	\textbf{\textit{Bold italic text}}.
	\textsc{Small caps text \textbf{including bold}}.

You see, it's not very different!

(Have you heard or read of ConTeXt? The good thing is: it is TeX, not
LaTeX ...)

--
Greetings

   Pete

  "A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
  longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>