[OS X TeX] enumerate in TeXShop

Dilip Ninan dninan at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 8 16:00:20 EDT 2005

Question from a TeXShop/LaTeX novice:

I'm having trouble getting TeXShop to compile a document.  The
document has several numbered sentences throughout the paper, that
more or less run in sequence.  I was doing this using the
covington.sty package, which works nicely, but now I'm submitting the
paper for something and the editor wants me to do this by labeling
each sentence using \label and then setting the counter by using
enumi and the corresponding \ref.  The document will compile if I
keep hitting ``return' each time I get an error message.  If I run
LaTeX enough times, I get the desired result: all the right numbers
with all the right sentences.  But is there any way to get it to
compile more quickly?  (There are around 30 sentences, so I have to
run LaTeX around 30 times to get it to come out right.)

Here is an example of what I'm doing:

\begin{enumerate}
\item Sam should/ought to go to confession, but he's not going to.
\label{should1}
\end{enumerate}

Then later in the document:

\begin{enumerate}
\setcounter{enumi}{\ref{should1}}
\item I should/ought to go to confession, but I'm not going to.\label
{shouldi}
\end{enumerate}

When I try to compile the document I get:

! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.58 \item I
              should/ought to go to confession, but I'm not going to.
\label{s...

?
b.fd) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/misc/ustmry.fd)

Package natbib Warning: Citation `Chellas80' on page 1 undefined on
input line
40.

LaTeX Warning: Reference `should1' on page 1 undefined on input line 54.

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    \protect
l.57 \setcounter{enumi}{\ref{should1}}

?

Thanks.

Dilip Ninan
MIT, Department of Linguistics and Philosophy
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>