[OS X TeX] $MANPATH (again??)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Aug 10 08:17:46 EDT 2005

Le 10 août 05 à 13:49, Steffen Hokland a écrit :

> I've looked through the archives of the list but couldn't find an
> answer for this....
>
> I needed to convert a PNG file and wanted to use the convert
> command line tool boundled with ImageMagick (GW-install - of
> course...), however
> # man convert
> returned
> # No manual entry for convert
>
> My MANPATH is: /sw/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/teTeX/man:/
> usr/X11R6/man:/sw/lib/perl5/5.8.6/man
> which doens't contain /usr/local/man (I've done the quick'n dirty
> fix man -M /usr/local/man convert).
>
> Have I messed up during my install of TeX (CLI use has been
> selected), or should I try to manipulate the MANPATH variable
> in .profile (which I'd rather not...)?

In case your OS X is Tiger, the MANPATH is set in a different way, in
the file /usr/share/misc/man.conf, which associates a man file
directory with a binary file directory. In your case,

     MANPATH_MAP    /usr/local/bin        /usr/local/share/man

The problem is that i-Installer installs man files inside /usr/local/
man, not /usr/local/share/man (apart from TeX itself).

For TeX, Gerben Wierda has recently modified the installation, such
that the following line is (on Tiger) added to man.conf:

     MANPATH_MAP    /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current    /usr/local/teTeX/man

However, there is no such modification for the other i-Packages. It's
the GhostScript i-Package IIRC which adds /usr/local/bin to PATH;
hence I imagine it's this same i-Package which should modify
man.conf, if appropriate.

The problem is that I don't know whether several man directories can
be associated with a single bin directory:

- If yes, then you could simply add the line

     MANPATH_MAP    /usr/local/bin        /usr/local/man

to man.conf.

- If not, then by editing the original MANPATH_MAP line to remove
the /share in the man directory path, then you would risk to break
things should you install afterwards software using /usr/local/share/
man/.

Another solution is to use ManOpen <http://www.clindberg.org/projects/
ManOpen.htm>. It's a GUI man page visualizer, which pretty-displays
and pretty-prints them. It comes with a CLI version called "openman",
which can be invoked from Terminal (simply replace man by openman)
and opens the man page in ManOpen. ManOpen includes a preference
allowing man path directories to be specified. I'm using it all the
time instead of man.

Hope this helps,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>