[OS X TeX] $MANPATH (again??)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 11 11:39:00 EDT 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 10:16 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> My manpath config file contains
>
> MANPATH /usr/local/share/man
> MANPATH /usr/local/man
>
> as well as
>
> MANPATH_MAP     /usr/local/bin          /usr/local/share/man
>
> and as a result finds all man pages both in /usr/local/man and /usr/
> local/share/man
>
> Did I change my manpath config a while back of is this standard.
> Because if it is, the symlink is not needed.
>
> Greetings from Curaçao,

My man.conf file also contains that (+others, e.g. X11) and,
interestingly,

## TeX modifications start at Sat Jun 11 08:47:57 CDT 2005
## Do not remove previous line
MANPATH_MAP    /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current    /
usr/local/teTeX/man
## Do not remove next line
## teTeX modifications end at Sat Jun 11 08:47:57 CDT 2005
##

is at the bottom of the file. I know I didn't change that so did the
TeX i-install put it there when I re-installed TeX after doing an
Archive & Install of Tiger(r).

Notice that I've reduced the number of redundant r's at the end of
Tiger; I used to call it Tigerrrr. It is working much better for me
now that I really cleaned up after my old Virex. I've noticed two
occasional glitches: once in a while system usage go to 70-90% for a
period and everything else is locked up and a similar thing happens
with the mds process (which is `niced' but, as has been noted here,
that doesn't mean to much). I have no man page for mds although
mdimport, etc., do ahve man pages. Does anyone know what mds does?
I'd almost guess it is the server for a Spotlight search but...

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>