[OS X TeX] $MANPATH (again??)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 12 04:46:59 EDT 2005

Le 12 août 05 à 04:28, mark oilcan a écrit :

> --- Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> But I would have believed the modification wasn't necessary: if we
>> are to believe what the comments in man.conf say:
>>
>>      # If people ask for "man foo" and have "/dir/bin/foo" in their
>> PATH
>>      # and the docs are found in "/dir/man", then no mapping is
>> required.
>>
>> then, provided a binary program is in /usr/local/bin/, a man page
>> inside /usr/local/man/ should be found automatically (I verified the
>>
>> NOAUTOPATH flag is indeed commented out in man.conf). Which should
>> apply, in particular, to "convert".
>>
>> Is there something broken, or did I just misunderstood?
>
> Note that by including the line:
>
>      MANPATH_MAP /usr/local/bin  /usr/local/share/man
>
> the default mapping (to /usr/local/man) is overridden.

This is indeed what was causing grief. Doing now, in Terminal,

     sudo pico /usr/share/misc/man.conf

removing my former manual addition of

      MANPATH /usr/local/man

commenting out (with a #) the default line

     MANPATH_MAP /usr/local/bin /usr/local/share/man

and saving these modifications, I get now

     legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ manpath
     /usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/teTeX/man:/usr/X11R6/man

And "man convert" does indeed work!

Thus it's Apple which ships a man.conf with a broken (or, at least,
odd) setup.

Many thanks,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>