[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.4.0 released

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Aug 15 12:35:42 EDT 2005

Le 15 août 05 à 16:58, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 15.08.2005 um 15:49 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> A preamble I would suggest is like this:
>>
>>     \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>>     \usepackage{color} % for color
>>     \usepackage{amssymb} % for math symbols
>>     \usepackage{amsmath} % for math constructs
>>     \usepackage{fontspec} % for AAT/OT fonts
>>     \usepackage{xunicode} % for Unicode accents
>>     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
>
> This works indeed fine, included
>
>     \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

No, I think you're mistaken. The package inputenc with option utf8
does some trickery to convert UTF-8 input into some sort of 8-bit
dialect that LaTeX can handle. XeLaTeX does precisely the opposite:
use UTF-8 input directly, without any preprocessing.

I think you must not use the inputenc package with XeLaTeX. Quoting a
message from Jonathan Kew (the developer of XeTeX) to the XeTeX list
on 4 April 2005:

> [...] To typeset Greek with XeTeX, I'd generally recommend using a
> Unicode-compliant Greek font (e.g., Gentium, Galatia SIL, or
> others), and avoiding packages such as "inputenc" and "ucs". These
> exist to provide support for some Unicode characters within an 8-
> bit TeX setup, but are not really appropriate for a fully Unicode-
> based working environment.

It may be that the xunicode package, and tex-text mapping, make up
for the alterations introduced by the inputenc package, so that
XeLaTeX still works with this latter package. But really I think it
would be better not to use this package at all with XeLaTeX.

I really think that, should this discussion develop further, then it
would better be moved over to the XeTeX mailing list (I'm not sure
Jonathan Kew is monitoring the present OS X TeX list any longer; and
Will Robertson, the developer of the fontspec package, has
unsubscribed from this list a couple of months ago, so that he's only
able to hear the discussion if it's on the XeTeX list).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>