[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2005 Release Candidate, Intel binaries

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Aug 23 19:21:32 EDT 2005

Hello folks: time for testing (backup your /usr/local/teTeX tree first!)

I am happy to announce the first release candidate for my TeX
redistribution, this time based on the first release candidate for
TL2005 (in combination with teTeX3 for the texmf tree).

As an added bonus, the i-Package contains native Intel binaries for
those using a Apple Intel Developer System. This also implies that
the layout of the package has changed, the sets are now organized
differently.

I suggest testing the 2005 release. The rest is equivalent to what
was before.

It can be installed from the *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory with i-
Installer.

Some remarks:
- The binaries are not universal, there are two directories, one with
x86 (compiled under 10.4.1) and one with ppc (compiled under 10.2.8)
binaries. This is to prevent you from downloading binaries not needed
on your system. A full install will install both. There are some
difficult tradeoffs between download size, functionality and
simplicity here.
- If you want to install on an Apple Intel Developer System, please
update i-Installer first to 2.70 (also universal, and I have seen
some potential problems with running the ppc version on an Intel
system). Also available from the *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory
- Do not mind some debugging messages in the Subprocess output view.
- It is highly unlikely that I will be able to make the TL2003 based
setup available on Mac Intel. If you need TL2003 (because of older
projects that will not typeset on TL2004 and up), use the ppc version
which will work (albeit slow) on an Intel system. If need be
(incompatibilities between Tl2004 and TL2005) I will be able to
provide a native x86 TL2004-based setup (compile has already been done)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>