[OS X TeX] using Latexit

Charles Chapman Pugh pugh at math.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 25 09:21:34 EDT 2005

Hello.

Thanks for the many suggestions about using Latexit.

1.  Here is a way to make a label with an opaque white background
whose border is not too large.  Add

\usepackage{color}
\setlength\fboxsep{0pt}

to the preamble.  Then an expression like

\colorbox{white}{$\frac{df}{dx}$}

produces a good result.

2.  *But* I have not been able to resolve the drag and drop issue,
Since a typical diagram has several labels, it is inefficient to have
all of them saved as separate files.  Is there some basic procedure
I'm missing?  I assumed that you have both Latexit and Illustrator
open, you go to the Latexit pane with the formula displayed, you grab
it with the pointer and mouse, and slide it to the Illustrator
artboard, and let go the mouse.  Right?

Illustrator 10.0.3 offers no "import pdf option" in its file menu,
but it does offer "place". The placed object is a previously saved
file from Latexit is linked back from Illustrator.  That would be
fine except that there would have to be so many files.  Illustrator
will only place one file at a time, and the objects in the Latexit
file are all grouped as one, so there does not seem to be a way to
get several of them on the artboard as independent objects generated
by one Latexit file.  Is there?

3.  Another issue. When a Latexit file is modified, there seems to be
no direct way to save its new version.  One is asked to save the
modified file as a new document, and then if the same name is used,
one is asked to overwrite the old one.  Why not just a "save" in the
file menu, and the new replaces the old?

Best,  Charles Pugh

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>