[OS X TeX] documentclass undefined

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri Aug 26 13:52:17 EDT 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Jens Nöckel wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Vince Filby wrote:
>
>> I didn't adjust any config files although I did attempt another
>> installation.  I uninstalled using i-installer and rm -rf
>> /usr/local/tetex.  Then I reinstalled using the i-installer. It still
>> is running pdfetex.

I would imagine that there is something else that is causing the
problem since there are hundreds of people running latex using the
i-installer without any problems (at least not the one you describe).

> Maybe I overlooked this in the long thread, but did you try the
> following really basic things:
> 1)
> Type "which latex" and make sure you don't  have latex or pdflatex
> aliased or symlinked to anything else (pdfetex) in your initialization
> files. Even if you PATH is correct, there might be aliases...

This should give /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/latex

> 2)
> Specify the path with the command, e.g. /usr/local/bin/latex (I use
> fink's tetex, so my paths are different, but I think that's what GWtex
> has, right?)

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/latex x

or whatever file you want to process.  If you installed fink
previously, then there could be a conflict somewhere.

> 3)
> Try alternatives to latex that should do the same thing:
> your-full-path/pdfelatex -output-format=dvi  filename
> your-full-path/pdfelatex -progname=latex filename
>
> Maybe one of these works and one can go from there with a diagonosis.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>