[OS X TeX] Thank you and \textsterling sign coming out as $

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 08:01:02 EST 2005

Le 6 déc. 05 à 12:28, Vicky Lamburn a écrit :

> I am using the Adobe Garamond Pro font (using other ones like
> Utopia or Computer-Modern) do not exhibit this problem.  If I have
> a line of text like:
>
> '£359.00 including VAT'
>
> it comes out as:
>
> '359.00 including VAT'
>
> So by using:
>
> '\textsterling 359.00 including VAT'
>
> gives me:
>
> $359 including VAT
>
> with a slanted dollar sign.  I have tried searching google but
> cannot find any answers -- is there something I am doing wrong?
> This only seems to occur with the fonts I have installed :( (Optima
> and Adobe Garamond Pro) -- the other seem fine.

Are you using standard TeX, or XeTeX? I assume you're using XeTeX. If
yes, then make sure you are calling the xunicode.sty package (through
\usepackage{xunicode}). And make sure your text is encoded (in the
source window) using UTF-8 encoding. For example, in TeXShop don't
forget to include the lines:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

It may also happen that Adobe Garamond does not include the £ sign --
but I doubt that.