[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 17:42:44 EST 2005

On Tuesday, December 06, 2005, at 02:18PM, Daniel Becker <daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de> wrote:

>>> I really miss having Spotlight index my .tex files. I understand
>>> that there is a fix for this problem, but it involves installing
>>> emacs. Is a more general solution in the works that will be
>>> released soon or should I go ahead and install emacs and then look
>>> back in the list archives for the specifics on how to get indexing
>>> going again.
>>
>> i wonder whether i missunderstand or doing something wrong? i
>> actually don't see the problem:
>>
>> http://www.easy2design.de/stuff/spotlight_tex.jpg
>
>same here (most recent OSX and gwtex etc). I did not install emacs, I
>think. How do I check? The only thing I vaguely remember is a
>download from Adam Maxwell's website...

Mine only indexes DVI files; I had a BibTeX importer as well, but it's now integrated with BibDesk.

>I always thought the whole discussion is to have .tex files as a
>separate group (like emails, pdf-documents, directories, ...) in the
>spotlight result list. Is this possible? Is it possible for .bib-
>entries?

I don't think we can make them a separate group; Apple seems to have defined those arbitrarily, so .bib and .tex files will show up as "Documents."  If you use BibDesk, each item in your .bib file will be indexed separately, though, as in Address Book or Mail.

-- Adam