[OS X TeX] OT: Spotlight and command line [was Re: status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?]

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Tue Dec 6 21:33:24 EST 2005

> Thanks!  It would seem that Type "TEXT" gets imported, hence
> if I were to change the type of my .tex files to TEXT then Spotlight
> ought to import them.  I'll have to try that...

I was trying to find out which files were found on my Spotlight
searches, because I had certainly seen some, but noticed that some
others, despite great similarity, were absent.

I didn't know about the GetFileInfo tool and thought it might provide
a clue, alas they had the same information associated with them (type
"TEXT", creator: "!Rch").

Then I noticed that files disappeared from the Spotlight search (and
didn't reappear in subsequent searches) when I renamed them from the
commandline, via "mv". Is that something that happens? If you do
something from the command line, you loose the indexed information?
Are things that run scripts, like i-Installer affected as well? And
what do I do to keep things up-to-date in the spotlight world?

Sorry for the OT post, I was hoping it would fit in the current
discussion though.
Thanks for any help, pointers or insights.
Jan