[OS X TeX] The Euro in Lucida

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 14 11:57:58 EST 2005

Howdy,

With TUG now distributing the newer Lucida Bright fonts, which have
the Euro symbol, I decided I'd i)support TUG in this endeavor and ii)
make my old school purchased font (I'm retired now) personally owned.
To install the fonts all I did was replace my old .pfb files (in the
texmf.local tree) by the new ones. That plus running `sudo texhash`
made everything just run.

My usage for the font is:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,vargreek,altbullet]{lucidabr}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\DeclareEncodingSubset{TS1}{hlh}{1} % to get oldstyle numerals to work

I actually used to use

\usepackage[force]{textcomp}

and that got the old style numerals before.

That's it! No need to change the map file (as a matter of fact the
one provided combines the lucidabr.amp and lumath.map which are
already there so is redundant and may lead to error messages),
packages, etc. Of course, those maps were already enabled on my
system. I'm not sure why there are so many virtual fonts; I didn't
install them but maybe they are needed for some of the encodings.
I've also defined \euro as {\sffamily\texteuro} so I can have a
(semi-)official euro glyph at hand.

I tend to put simple things that I use repeatedly in combination into
little packages (using \RequirePackage instead of \usepackage and
also passing all parameters to the package to the lucidabr package in
this case). That way I can keep my font related choices packed
together; e.g., I like the fourier (scaled Utopia) fonts with scaled
Bera Sans and Mono so I have a small package with that combination.
Of course, if it's going to be a source file for general distribution
I explicitly use the individual packages or send along the packages too.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)