[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 20 15:29:14 EST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Norm Gall wrote:

> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301533 tells you
> _exactly_ what folders are searched by Spotlight by default:

The last paragraph in that docuemnt also points out how to tell
Spotlight NOT to search a given directory branch. Unfortunately
you've got to play a (fairly simple) game so that it doesn't index an
external drive permanently.

In addition, I'd like to see Spotlight Preferences have a tab to
permanently add (forced if necessary) directory trees to index so
there would be no need to use SpotlightIndexer.

> Overriding these defaults is trivial with SpotlightIndexer and
> marginally less trivial with the Terminal.
>
> ng

I use SpotlightIndexer to force the indexing of the teTeX directory
tree with great success. I also force the indexing of some of the
Developer Documentation, etc.

I've mentioned to the developer of SpotlightIndexer that is would be
nice to allow one to choose a subset of the list of directories
SpotlightIndexer indexes so I don't have to drop items from the list
when I want to re-index a directory tree; e.g., using check boxes as
in iTunes. He thought it might be a good idea so I'll wait and see
what transpires.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)