[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Dec 20 16:47:39 EST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> As recently as Dec 9, I was able to include cmr fonts in
> illustrator but now this does not work anymore. Specifically, I was
> able to copy/paste texshop equations into illustrator and display
> them properly (i.e. w/o font substitution) in latex. Now, when I
> try the same procedure, the copy/pasted math in the final latex
> output appear with substituted fonts. In the meanwhile I updated my
> TeX installation and this is apparently the reason for this
> behavior: I have backups of pdflatex output that looks fine, but
> when I typeset again the fonts become substituted. I've no idea
> what has caused this change - is there a way to obtain the old
> behavior? Alas, new is not always good...
>
> Themis
>

> On Dec 19, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> A few years ago I discarded Illustrator for similar reasons and
>> decided to create graphics with the help of metapost using mfpic
>> as a convenient "frontend". This means of course that pdflatex is
>> the underlying tex engine.
>>
>> In my opinion any mathematician will love the beauty and ease of
>> metapost compared with the clumsy features of Illustrator.
>>
>> Claus

Here is an AppleScript that Francesco and I threw together this
afternoon that takes a PDF generated from a .tex file and converts
all the fonts to outlines. To create an application droplet, copy the
AppleScript code, paste it into the Script Editor, and save it as an
application. You can then drop PDFs on it and it will convert the
fonts to outlines.

We actually created an AppleScript Studio app (using Xcode) that does
this, but it only works on the machine on which it is built and we
can't figure out why. If we get it worked out, we will post the app
to the web for download.

In fact, we are now working on an app that will use the pdfcrop Perl
script to crop PDF files out of Illustrator after they have been
labeled with using the "outlined fonts" generated above.

Let me know if you have any questions or have suggestions as to how
to get our Xcode app to work on all machines.

-- Gary

-- TeX Font Outliner.applescript
-- TeX Font Outliner

--  Created by Francesco Costanzo & Gary L. Gray on 12/20/05.
--  Copyright 2005 __The two guys above__. All rights reserved.
(*
on idle
	(* Add any idle time processing here. *)
end idle
*)

on open Filename
	(* Add your script to process the names here. *)
	set FileInformation to AssembleFileInfo(Filename)
	set CDCommand to "cd " & (FDirectory of FileInformation) & "; "
	(*
	gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=nofont-test.ps -q -dbatch
-dNOPAUSE test.pdf -c quit
	*)
	do shell script (CDCommand & "/usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=pswrite -
dNOCACHE -sOutputFile=Outlines-" & (PSName of FileInformation) & " -q
-dbatch -dNOPAUSE " & (FName of FileInformation) & " -c quit")

	set Filetarget to ((MacFDirectory of FileInformation) & ":Outlines-"
& (PSName of FileInformation))
	-- display dialog Filetarget

	try
		tell application "Adobe Illustrator" to activate
		tell application "Adobe Illustrator" to open file Filetarget
	end try
	quit
end open

(* ==== Subroutine assemble file related information into record
form.  ==== *)
on AssembleFileInfo(ThisFile)
	set FileInfo to (info for ThisFile)
	set FileRecord to {FName:(name of FileInfo) as string} as record
	set FileRecord to FileRecord & {FExtension:(name extension of
FileInfo as string)}

	set TString to ThisFile as string
	set TString to (characters 1 through ((length of TString) - 1 -
(length of (FName of FileRecord)))) of TString as string
	set FileRecord to FileRecord & {MacFDirectory:TString}
	set TString to ("\"" & (POSIX path of TString) & "\"")
	set FileRecord to FileRecord & {FDirectory:TString}
	set TString to (characters 1 through ((length of (FName of
FileRecord)) - 1 - (length of FExtension of FileRecord))) of (FName
of FileRecord) as string
	set FileRecord to FileRecord & {FBaseName:TString}
	set TString to (FBaseName of FileRecord) & ".ps"
	set FileRecord to FileRecord & {PSName:TString}
	return FileRecord
end AssembleFileInfo