[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Dec 22 04:08:49 EST 2005

Le 22 déc. 05 à 00:59, Jens Nöckel a écrit :

> I have posted the application and installation instructions on my
> web site,
> http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/Illustrator.html#stripfonts

At that page you recommend creation of a file ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist. The existence of this file, affecting all GUI
applications, is known to create problems with i-Installer, unless
the user is Unix-litterate and knows exactly what he/she is doing; as
a matter of fact, Gerben Wierda recommends against it.

Moreover, the content that you recommend for this file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PATH</key>
	<string>/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/
sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin</string>
</dict>
</plist>

means Fink binaries will be found before those, in /usr/local/bin,
installed by i-Installer, which is likely to cause problems.

If I understood correctly, the purpose of this file is to make sure
the GhostScript binaries are somewhere in the default path. If these
binaries are installed by i-Installer, they are inside /usr/local/
bin, and if the user has agreed to CLI activation, then the necessary
modifications have been done to /etc/profile and /etc/csh.login, such
that /usr/local/bin is added to $PATH. Hence, in this case, creation
of ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist is unnecessary.