[OS X TeX] Pdftricks problem

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 3 10:47:24 EST 2005

On 2/3/05 9:09 AM, "Vince McGarry" <vmcgarry at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I have been having a problem with pdftricks and I know a few of you do use
> it. I have been using pstricks for some time now and have been wanting to
> take advantage of some of the typographical features of pdflatex so I began
> to experiment. In the following the lower part of the generated pdf file
> (labels on the horizontal axis) is clipped on my system even though I am
> leaving way more than enough room. This compiles correctly on at least one
> other system showing no problem.
>
> \usepackage{ifpdf}
> \ifpdf%
>   \usepackage{pdftricks}
>   \begin{psinputs}
>       \usepackage{pstricks}
>       \usepackage{pst-plot}
>   \end{psinputs}
> \else
>   \usepackage{pstricks}
>   \usepackage{pst-plot}
>   \newenvironment{pdfpic}{}{}
> \fi
>

> \begin{pdfpic}
>   \psset{xunit=50pt,yunit=20pt}
>   \begin{pspicture*}(-1,-4)(5,7)
>   \psaxes[showorigin=false,ticks=all,arrowscale=1.5]{->}(4.5,6.5)
>   \end{pspicture*}
> \end{pdfpic}
>
> The ps file of the graphic from which the final pdf graphic is generated
> shows no problem at all. If I open the ps file in Preview the converted pdf
> indicates no problem, but when converting the ps to pdf using ps2eps
> followed by epstopdf some clipping does occur.
>
> Anyone have any ideas???
>
> Vince McGarry
> Austin Community College
> Rio Grande Campus
> 1212 Rio Grande Street
> Austin, TX  78701
>
> Phone: (512)-223-3358
> email: vince at austincc.edu
>      vmcgarry at austin.rr.com

Howdy,

I get the clipping at the bottom of the 3 along the x-axis. It appears that
the clipping occurs when ps2eps calculates the Bounding Box to put into the
eps file the bottom of the 3 is getting clipped. You never see that .eps
file since pdftricks rm's it after generating the .pdf file. It is also
possible the epstopdf is not doing the right thing with the eps' Bounding
Box, but I haven't run into that before.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>