[OS X TeX] What kind of operation is TeXing? (concerning hardware)

Aldo Manfroi amanfroi at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 14:21:45 EST 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 12:55, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Aditya Dushyant Trivedi wrote:
>
>> If you want a computer _just_ for TeX and are on a tight budget, go
>> for a Dell (and windows).  In performance it will be better. Ofcourse
>> there are side effects: Windows problems, Bigger form factor,
>> noisier, etc. But like I said if TeX and budget are your only
>> concern, I would recommend a Dell.
>
> I obviously need to start moderating this list. :-)
>
> -- Gary

Yes, please :-)

Regarding TeXing, I am using a Dual USB iBook (500MHz G3) and an Blue
and White tower (350MHz G3) and I am happy with them. The memory has
been maxed on both. BUT, I am doing small projects. Flashmode for a
document with many (tens of) pages and figures would probably be out (I
don't use it. I just compile and open in Preview). I think it would
help to know what size of projects you will have to deal with.

AJM

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>