[OS X TeX] What kind of operation is TeXing? (concerning hardware)

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 5 09:34:26 EST 2005

On 2/5/05 7:50 AM, "Themis Matsoukas" <matsoukas at adelphia.net> wrote:

> How do you tell how long it takes to typeset the file and how do you
> suppress terminal output? I used time pdflatex source2e.tex but got a
> ton and a half of screen output...
>
> Themis
>
> PS: On my G3 imac (800 MHz), I latex 200+ pages with 50+ graphs and I
> don't feel the pain (I
> \includeonly a lot).  On a G4 imac (1 GHz), it is of course more fun.

Howdy,

You've got to compile from the Command Line and redirect the output from
pdflatex to /dev/null, the bit bucket.

time pdflatex source2e >/dev/nul

is the full command line command. The screen output takes quite a bit of
time. On my 550MHz Powerbook it took 38s... Sigh...

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>