[OS X TeX] TeXShop: how to remedy "Unknown graphics

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Feb 6 08:39:45 EST 2005

On 6 Feb 2005, at 11:12 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.02.2005 um 11:33 schrieb Maarten Sneep:
>
>> You'll get used to translating the eps files to pdf, especially given
>> the ease with which pdf files can be viewed on most systems (easier
>> in most cases than eps files).
>
> Are you sure of this? Isn't there an issue with graphics resolution?

No. The pdf format can handle both vector and bitmap images, allowing
for compression in the latter which provides one of its advantages over
postscript (another being the ability to embed and subset fonts,
another being DRM-style features &c &c).

> Why do the screenshots with Apple's grab utility look so bad?

The output of Quartz is, by definition, a bitmap image since it's being
sent to monitor pixels or printer dots, so when screenshots are taken
only this data is being used -- Quartz was simply not designed to
output vector images after the composition stage.

> When you have vector graphics you should not convert it to bitmaps --
> or use PK instead of PS, TT, OTF too.

This is true. You would not want to convert eps to jpg or png. However,
any eps file may be losslessly converted to pdf, provided font
availability (much of which ghostscript provides).

(Disclaimer: This whole post is "as I understand it"...)

Regards,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>