[OS X TeX] Re: Opinions about ConTeXt

cormullion cormullion at mac.com
Sun Feb 6 16:04:12 EST 2005

cormullion <cormullion at mac.com> said on 2005-02-05, 9:44 (-0000 GMT):

> ConTeXt is already installed and it works fine in TeXShop

I may have spoken too soon. I’m working through the manual(s), but things aren’t working as they say they should. So I’m wondering if my unmodified TeXShop/i-Installed version is complete...

Take this simple file:

%
\setupinteraction %1
    [status=start,
    color=blue]
\setupbodyfont[ber,pos] %2
\starttext
\completecontent
\chapter{One}
\section{Cool}

Lorem ipsum etc.

Put this\index{this} and that\index{that} in the index.

\useURL [contextsupport] [http://www.pragma-ade.nl]

The \ConTeXt\ support site is \from[contextsupport].

\completeindex %3
\stoptext
%

This should work, but there are many errors:

1 No links or hyperlinks are active in the generated PDF.
2 I can’t access any of the PostScript fonts, as the documentation says I can. Errors are this sort of thing:
        This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.3)
        kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-utmr8a

        ! I can't find file `ec-utmr8a'.
        <*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a
3 Although a \placeindex command works, the \completeindex command seems to send pdfetex into a loop - it was running for 13 hours (I didn’t realise it had been running overnight, even though I’d quit TeXShop :-)).

So I’ve started to think that I don’t have a properly-configured installation of ConTeXt here. Can anyone help me by confirming or refuting that?

many thanks
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>