[OS X TeX] I do like ps4pdf

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 6 20:51:53 EST 2005

On 07/02/2005, at 4:57 AM, Herb Schulz wrote:

> #!/bin/sh
> location=$(dirname "$1")
> basefname="${location}/`basename "$1" .tex`"
> # process the figures
> latex "$1"
> dvips -Ppdf -o "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
> ps2pdf13 "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}-pics.pdf"
> /bin/rm "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
> #process the file (once)
> pdflatex --shell-escape "$1"
>
> This will leave the extra file file-pics.pdf, where `file' is the
> original
> base file name without the extension. By the way, all the extra double
> quotes are to take care of possible problems with directories with
> spaces in
> their names, Sigh...
>
> Once the figures are all the way you want them to be just compile the
> document with pdflatex alone and the figures in the file-pics.pdf file
> will
> be properly placed. Very Nice!

> As far as I can tell the only time you run into ``trouble'' is if you
> want
> to convert the figures in the file-pics.pdf file back into individual
> .eps
> figures. Then  you've got to do something about the `seq' command.

Have a look at the command-line switches  -E -S1
for  dvips .

  -E  ==>  make encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files
  -S 1  ==> 1 per page

and use  -o <output-prefix>.eps   to get the .eps suffix
on the files that are produced.

However, you have to be careful, in the LaTeX source, with graphics
created using packages that employ \special commands for drawing.
It's often a good idea to enclose these in a \framebox{...},
so that dvips can find the correct bounding-box size.

Or use \fcolorbox{white}{...}
  or  \fcolorbox[white]{white}{...}
to adjust the frame's color to that of the page (assuming white).

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>