[OS X TeX] Good bye!

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 08:45:35 EST 2005

Le 7 févr. 05, à 04:21, Axel E.Retif a écrit :

> On Feb 6, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Just a word of caution, motivated by user feedback on this and the
>> XeTeX list, and relevant if you plan to use XeTeX to write maths: at
>> that time, XeTeX doesn't support virtual fonts neither can it use
>> PostScript fonts in the PFB or PFA formats. Which means that, in case
>> you write maths formulas, you're stuck with Computer Modern fonts for
>> these formulas or, if you happen to own them, Lucida New Math fonts.
>> In particular, you won't be able to use MathTime fonts, or the
>> virtual math fonts like txfonts, pxfonts, etc.
>
> I haven't used XeTeX, save for typesetting samples. I have a question,
> though, concerning math fonts ---why are there txfonts, pxfonts, etc.,
> in .otf format in
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/otf/xetex/public/
>
> if you can't use them to typeset math?

To prove me wrong! If they're there, then they can indeed be used. I
hadn't checked. So yes, you can use pxfonts and txfonts, and also
belleek to replace MathTime. You can't use, though, fonts relying on
the virtual font mechanism, like mathptmx, mathpazo, the mathematica
math fonts, etc.

Bruno Voisin (likely to be unresponsive for a few days, as I'm
gradually catching up with 800+ messages --- 2/3 of them spam ---
accumulated during a one-week holiday)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>