[OS X TeX] I do like ps4pdf

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 7 15:41:16 EST 2005

On 2/7/05 11:52 AM, "Michael Hoppe" <mh at michael-hoppe.de> wrote:

>>  #!/bin/sh
>>  location=$(dirname "$1")
>>  basefname="${location}/`basename "$1" .tex`"
>>  # process the figures
>>  latex --shell-escape "$1"
>>  dvips -Ppdf -o "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
>>  ps2pdf13 "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}-pics.pdf"
>>  /bin/rm "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
>
> OK, but you're aware of that this mumbo-jumbo is only needed once:
> when the pics are to be created.

Howdy,

I think I said that once the file has been processed once using this all
further processing could just be with pdflatex.

>>  #process the file
>>  pdflatex --shell-escape "$1"
>
> Did you think of the use of
>
>    %&latex
>
> resp.
>
>    %&pdflatex
>
> at the very beginning of the main .tex-file?  Using that feature it's
> just a joke in AlphaX together with teTeXComm to do the job.  Just
> put the former %&latex in first line to produce the picture-file;
> during the "normal" changes of the .tex-files, where there are no
> changes of the graphics, you just start with the latter %&pdflatex.
>
> Michael

Are you using Gerben Wierda's distribution? If so, do you mean that the
%&latex at the start of the file will call altpdflatex? In that case the
dvips call will not add the ``-Ppdf -o "${basefname}-pics.ps"'' options
unless specifically added by a script and, likewise, the ps2pdf13 call will
not be for "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}-pics.pdf". If it's a
different distribution I wouldn't know how the processing would follow a
different course.

All in all, use whatever works well in your environment. I make no claim to
have the only or even the best solution.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>