[OS X TeX] bookmarks in PDFs without hyperref?

Matthew Hills hills_tex at tina.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 7 19:16:23 EST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 5 févr. 05, à 23:19, Gary L. Gray a écrit :
>> I would like to be able to insert booksmarks in PDF files without
>> using the hyperref package. [...]
>
> In my (limited) experience with hyperref, it seems the only solution
> is to load hyperref, then play with all its possible options (among
> the multitude of them) to disable all the features you don't need and
> be done, and you need to redefine commands from hyperref itself.
> [....]

I commend your bravery, sir -- my resolution faltered once I saw what
was inside hyperref.sty...

Just for the public record, I also suggested that Gary might want to
try using some of the pdfTeX primitives directly:

	\chapter{First One}
	\pdfoutline
		goto page1{/Fit}  %
		{Chapter One: First One}

This also seems to be pretty complicated to do everything right (page
#'s, hierarchy in bookmark outline, and character encoding in the
bookmark strings)

> Good luck,
>
> Bruno

No kidding ;-)

I'd be interested in seeing what Gary is able to work out...

Matt

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>